Friday, July 18, 2014

Tears

I love kids.  They cry often and without shame.  As little ones, I recall my children ‘having to cry’ sometimes.  It seemed as if it was almost ‘time to cry.’  If they hadn’t cried in a while because of sleepiness, a bump in the head or a toy they wanted, then it was just time to cry.  Almost invariably, they would instantly settle down or go to sleep.  Why can’t we do that as adults?  We almost always hold it in.  We don’t want people to see us crying.  Not our families, our friends.  Sometimes not even our spouses.  And God forbid anyone cry at work – it’s the kiss of death, much like being assigned to ‘special projects.’  You’re doomed.

Sometimes I cry in silence, with barely an audible whimper.   Other times I’ve cried out of frustration and pounded my fists on my pillow.  I’ve heard that people say it’s helpful to have a ‘good cry.’  What on earth is a good cry??!!!  Does it make you feel good after you’re done?  What makes it good?  I think crying overall is good.  It’s oddly quenching.  I don’t do it all the time, and I am like other people - I don’t want anyone to see me while I’m doing it.  I don’t want anyone to worry.  I don’t want the questions.  But it is good if it serves a purpose.  I think it releases stress and tension.  It may not solve the problem or issue, but it does help to let it out.  It’s sort of like releasing a pressure valve.  Like deep breaths when you need to clear your head or move on to the next task. 

While experiencing a particularly difficult time, a dear friend told me to go ahead and cry because ‘tears cleanse the soul.’  If that’s true, then my soul is pristine these days.  And that’s a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment