Sunday, September 7, 2014

Strength

I have met a lot of people in my life that I considered to be strong.  I’m not talking about brute strength, but strength of character, dignity and resolve.  For various reasons, they just seemed strong; were strong, are strong.  Like the single mom of eight children abandoned by her ex-husband.  When we met, she had been alone for many years; yet her children were the most well-cared-for kids I knew at the time.  The most polite, clean, well-dressed, kind and friendly.  She seemed to permanently wear a smile on her face; a genuine smile.  And when she greeted you with a hug and her ‘my love,’ ‘my sweet,’ or ‘my baby,’ you just knew she meant it!   She embraced you as if she hadn’t seen you in years.  She always had a word of encouragement for others.  Whenever I was invited or crashed at her house for lunch, she always served me a special plate taking care to give me exactly what I wanted to eat.  When she spoke, her words were a boost, a lift, so soothing:  ‘tell me how you’re doing precious, and how is God blessing you today?’  It really made me forget about whatever nonsense was going on.

Conversely, I have met a lot of people who seemed strong and were far from it.  Like the handsome guy in New York.  He was not only tall, dark and handsome; he was also smart, sensitive, and kind.  A guy anyone would want to go out with; except me.  We talked a few times.  It seemed to me that he tried too hard, thought too highly of himself and his good looks, his sensitivity, his kindness.  He thought we clicked; I didn’t.  And then I really had to tell him I wasn’t interested in a relationship.  Oh boy.  Things fell apart quickly.  He stopped talking to me, completely – understandable to a point; except we hung around in the same circles and went to the same church.  He immediately started dating a pretty girl we both knew.  And then….he started calling again, and again, and again.  Aaaarrrghhh!

There are many qualities I appreciate and admire.  But strength is a big one.  We all know people whose strength is undeniable and true.  I can give thanks I have known many in my life. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment