Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Failures

We don’t like to mention it.  As a matter of fact, I don’t believe I’ve heard this word in conversation in a few years.  Who even wants to utter the word?  It’s like the terrible, awful.  It’s like a nasty, despicable, horrible word.  When my kids were younger and they said something unkind I would tell them, ‘it looks like there are frogs and roaches and snakes coming out of your mouth.’  I think that’s how we think of failure.  It’s a very bad word.  It’s an unmentionable word.  Who wants to say, ‘I failed?’  Who likes to say, ‘oh yeah, I tried and failed at….’  It feels cruel and harsh and heartless; even if we say it of ourselves.­­­

But failure can be enlightening.  When we fail, and we inevitably look back, we can see so many things that we never could have had we not taken that road.  It can bring tremendous opportunities for evaluation and self-correction.  It can also give us a deep personal insight.  If we fail at whatever, won’t we at least have the chance to try again if we want to?  Won’t we be able to choose different next time?  If we don’t fail, how could we ever know what’s right?  What’s better?  What’s more convenient? What works?  What makes sense for us? We truly learn from our mistakes. 
­­And what about the byproducts of failure?  The consequences?  As a woman and a mother, I have failed plenty.  I thought of my divorce as a failure.  I think most people do.  Not because of what I did or didn’t do as sometimes we aren’t given a choice in the matter.  But because the result was the end of the marriage.  Something I never wanted.  I ached at the thought of my shattered dream of an intact family; a broken future.  I grieved over my children going back and forth between homes.  The images of becoming a dysfunctional family tormented me for months.  But even though the ex and I didn’t make it as a married couple, I still have a little family.  I have two children who are the biggest blessings in my life.  In this case, I would never think of doing something different.  I would do it all over again.  Every single solitary step taken to walk down the aisle with that man because the failed marriage yielded my forever family. 

Today I give thanks for all the failures.  Not because so I’m proud of them, but because I know many of them were openings for my personal growth and blessings to me and others­­. They brought me to where I am now.  They taught me be thankful and to do better.  To be a more productive individual.  To be a healthier mother, daughter, sister, friend, and human being. 

2 comments:

  1. Not Rejected, Selected!
    Nothing wounds the heart like rejection.
    Rejection attacks us at some of our most basic needs: the need for love, validation, and acceptance. All divinely designed needs, perfectly met in our Divine Designer, and yet we are fragile and frail. We don’t want to need acceptance, but we do. We don’t want to need validation, but we do. And when we give our best and our best is not enough, we feel rejected.
    The problem with rejection is that, when left untreated, it leads to dejection. And when we live in dejection, we forget our selection.
    Jesus wants you to bring your rejection to Him. Why? Because you were not and are not rejected. The LORD of Lords and King of kings has chosen you for Kingdom things. He is the One who hardens and softens hearts. Rejection, when viewed through the lens of eternity, is your friend. It guides you and protects you, keeping you from areas the Lord would not have you go. The Lord has selected you for His glorious purposes, He will purpose good from the “rejection” you have faced, and He will purpose it when necessary.
    Why?
    Because you are His. He loves you. And His plan for you is so much better than your plan for you. So remember this today – you are not rejected, so stop living dejected, and start living selected!
    Ephesians 1:4-6 – For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.
    Rebecca Carrell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to our Heavenly Father I feel selected!!

    ReplyDelete