Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tea Party

I know why little girls like tea parties.  It gives them an opportunity to act grown up and sip tea and eat like the big girls do.  But why do adult women like tea parties?  We don’t have to pretend we’re adults like when we were children.  They’re obviously frou-frou, all flowery and pastels, with lots of highly caloric foods.  So, what’s the attraction? 

I had a tea party for my birthday.  It wasn’t my idea, but I loved it just the same.  The tables were set with white tablecloths, beautiful mismatched china, and fresh flowers.  There were real teapots with several types of teas and an array of sweet and savory delicacies to match any highfalutin English tea from the mother country.  There were even party favors – the finest little purse mirrors in the shape of teapots!  And we were all compliant and seized the opportunity to dress up and everyone at the party looked beautiful.  How often does that happen in this age of casualness when even Thanksgiving and Christmas don’t merit a pretty dress or a suit anymore?! 
There were women there from 14 to 79.  And what a treat it was!  I was fortunate enough to NOT sit with the ladies my age.  I sat at the ‘young’ table.  Quite a difference in decibel!  There was raucous laughter and shrieks at my table.  A lot of ‘don’t say that!’ and ‘ooooohh!’ and ‘I’m gonna get ya!’  While at the other ‘older’ more passive and sedate table, there was talk of weddings and church services!!!  Although I would’ve ordinarily sat with the ladies, I was so glad that I was paired up with the young ladies.  When the time came for the games, my table was laughing and crying to the point that one of the young ones peed on herself!  Hmmm.  In true form I was like, ‘whaaaaaat?’  It was crazy, but funny.  Although I was taken aback because I didn’t believe it at first, I was glad that they had such a great time.  When was the last time that you laughed uncontrollably to the point you peed on your pants??!!!  Meanwhile at the other table the conversation continued with a lady putting her house up for sale!!! 

So, here's a great big thanks for tea parties that can be shared with friends and family, young and old.  Tea parties never go out of style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment