Friday, November 7, 2014

Put a Ring on It


What is the meaning of an engagement ring? Typically it’s a small band made of a precious metal topped with a precious stone. But it’s not merely a piece of jewelry. It’s not just a costly gift. Obviously, it’s a promise and a commitment ….for a further commitment, right? What meaning does it hold for the recipient? What about the asking for her hand and giving her a promise to marry her do for the relationship? What are the feelings around the actual giving and receiving? What value does it hold in terms of a future? When I was proposed to, my intended didn’t give me an engagement ring. He was a little frugal to say the least. His mother then gave me her own engagement ring. It wasn’t a costly or beautiful piece. I appreciated it, but not like I would’ve had HE given it to me. Had it cost HIM some money. Had HE taken the time to shop and look for a special ring for me. Had HE kneeled and proposed and put a ring on it.  To me the ring symbolizes more than just ‘I want you to be my wife and be my family.’ It means I love you, I’m crazy about you, I can’t live without you, I want to spend my life with you, so marry me!!! And what woman doesn’t want that??!!!

If you’re as old as I am you’ll undoubtedly know who Karen Carpenter was. Yeah, yeah, I know, sappy songs till the cows come home. I was a lot younger then. I loved her clear and natural voice and I sang all her songs; way too loud, even though I couldn’t carry a tune if you paid me. One of my favorites is “Top of the World.’ You know it. It played at every wedding in the 70s, 80s, and for those like me, in the 90s. I mean, who could resist:

I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation
And the only explanation I can find
Is the love that I've found ever since you've been around
Your love's put me at the top of the world


Seriously? Words only spoken by a very young and crazy person in love. Or a bride-to-be! I think that’s what the engagement ring symbolizes! You’re crazy in love and this ring shouts it to the world. Thankful today for all those crazy people in love. Bless their little hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment