Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Pajamas

Growing up in New York City is something that I will always remember with fondness.  Our family lived in an older apartment building in Upper Manhattan.  We had brutal winters in New York when it was bitter cold and the wind howled through the cracks of the iced-over windows.  We not only wore sweat suits to bed, but also socks, gloves and hats.  Then in the hot summer time with no air conditioning, we threw the windows completely open.  We bathed in humid air and had no choice but to wear the skimpiest clothing or just t-shirts to sleep in.  Those were the days. 

Now that I’m older and wiser (and have all the heat and air conditioning I could hope for), I wear pajamas.  I know a lot of people don’t like pajamas.  Some people think that they’re dowdy or boring, or maybe too hot.  But they’re my personal favorite.  I try not to be obsessive about pajamas, but I think as I get older I might be getting pickier.  They have to be ….. just so.  In the last year I’ve bought four pairs of new pajamas.  First pair was great.  Pull on elastic waist pants with a button down shirt in off-white with tiny little red flower bunches.  All soft and stretchy cotton with a perfect fit.  I was so happy I remember sending out selfies sporting my new pajamas.  The love didn’t last long.  The more I washed them, the smaller they got.  My daughter wears them now.  Second pair was bought in the spring.  It was a cool cotton shorts and top set.  As key-yoot as can be; with a beautiful navy paisley print on a pink background.  And then I put the top on and man if it didn’t give!  I couldn’t move my arms without it tugging at my underarms.  And when I crossed my arms it felt as if I was in a straightjacket.  I wore an XL t-shirt to bed that summer.  Third pair was bought this fall.  Three quarter sleeve shirt with nice pull on bottoms in a cotton/polyester blend.  Don’t do it.  Take it from me.  As nice and supple as it felt the first couple of nights, it was a waste of money.  Within the first wash the three quarter sleeves shrunk to two quarters; and the pants are so pilly that I can’t stand to wear them anymore.  I found out later that pilling happens, especially in synthetic fabrics like polyester, by wearing or washing!  Hmmm, I wonder if I could get away with not wearing or washing my PJs!  Last pair, bought last week, was a find.  I learn from my mistakes; so I went all cotton top and cotton gabardine bottoms.  Wish me luck!




1 comment: